This topic will introduce you to the concept of Computer devices. There are two key objectives. At the end of this session, you will be able to:
• Explain the concepts of hardware, input and output devices.
• Explain how Central Processing Unit (CPU) works.
• Explain what are the different computer devices such monitor, mouse keyboard etc.
The computer hardware devices are the physical parts of the computer that can be seen and felt.
The following are the examples of hardware devices:
• Mouse – It is a pointer device that helps us navigate and give inputs to the computer.
• Keyboard – It is an input device. It has alphabets and numeric keys through which we give inputs to the computer.
• Monitor – It is the device that displays the result as output when we give input commands to the computer.
• Speakers – It is a device that produces audio output.
• Microphone – It is a device that allows us to record the sound.
The computer hardware is basically categorised into 4 types. They are, input devices, output devices, storage devices and central processing unit (CPU).
b) Input Devices:
Input devices are hardware that is used to provide inputs and also control the commands given to the computer.
The input devices are as follows:
c) Central Processing Unit (CPU):
CPU is the area of the computer where the entire processing of the data based on the commands given takes place.
d) Output Devices:
Output devices are the parts of the computer that communicate the output or result of a command given to the computer by the user.
Example: We input two numbers to perform addition:
I. The result of the addition is displayed on the monitor or screen.
II. So, the monitor is an output device that communicates the results that the computer has performed.
III. The output devices are as follows:
• Headphones – It is a device that plays sound files for us to listen to.
Get introduced to the computer devices:
• CPU: CPU is the area of the computer where the entire processing of the data based on the commands given takes place. CPU is a vertical or horizontal box on which contains buttons to turn on or off.
• Monitor: Monitor is a device which gives output of what is going on in the computer. A monitor looks like a TV.
• Keyboard: Keyboard helps the user to give the commands as input to the computer to perform a task. Keyboard contains lot of keys for alphabets, numbers, punctuations and special characters etc.
• Mouse: Mouse is a device through which a sighted computer user gives commands to the computer through the mouse click.
• Speakers: Speakers are the device through which we can get voice output from the computer.
Check Your Understanding
This exercise is to make sure that you have understood the concepts:
a) The remote control of a television is an output device. State True or False.
b) What is computer hardware? Give two examples.
c) CPU does the processing of all our inputs. State True or False.
Summary and Takeaway
• We learnt that hardware is the physical part of the computer that we can see and touch.
• Input devices are those devices that we use to send information into the computer.
• CPU processes our inputs.
• Output devices are hardware that communicates the results of a function that the computer has performed.
• The remote control is an example of an input device.
• Hardware is the physical parts of the computer that can be seen and touched. Example: Mouse, Keyboard, CPU and Monitor.
• CPU processes the inputs given by the user and gives the output on the monitor or a speaker.
Points to Remember
Below are the key areas you need to focus while learning this topic.
• Are you able to remember the names of different computer devices by relating to what you have touch and felt in the previous session?